Are you waiting to escape to the mountains and enjoy the picture-perfect views in hill stations? We have got you covered. You do not have to save to travel to Switzerland anymore. India proudly boasts several hill stations ranging from Himalayas and Aravalis to Gangtok and Kodaikanal. These hill stations in India host not just travellers from within the country but also from outside the country. We have brought you a list of some of the most beautiful mountain destinations of India that should definitely be a part of your bucket list.
1. Manali, Himachal Pradesh – Manali is a little town in the Kullu Valley and offers some of the most amazing views. From the snow-clad mountain peaks and lush forests to a variety of activities, Manali should be a must-visit for every Indian. It hosts several adventure activities such as camping, skiing, rock climbing, rafting, trekking etc. The Solang Valley, Rohtang Pass and the Tibetan monasteries are some other popular tourist destinations in Manali.
2. Mussorie, Uttarakhand – Mussorie is famous for its panoramic view of the Doon valley in the south and the Himalayas in the north. The hill station is 34 kilometres away from Dehradun and is specially developed for tourism. There are so many things to keep you hooked in this small town. From cable cars up the Gun Hill to the Mall road, Mussorie is a beautiful mountain destination and perfect weekend getaway.
3. Darjeeling, West Bengal – Darjeeling is exceptionally famous for its vast tea estates, and magnificent views of Kanchenjunga, several waterfalls and hills. Darjeeling is also known for its historical toy train ride. Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Darjeeling include the Ghoom Monastery, Senchal lake and the observatory Hill. For the best experience in Darjeeling, we recommend living in a tea estate and resort as it will help you experience the beauty of Darjeeling to the fullest.
4. Gangtok, Sikkim – Gangtok is the vibrant capital of Sikkim and has to offer the extravagance hoys of the city as well as the quaint aura of the mountains. Gangtok features a ropeway that offers a panoramic view of the town and surrounding mountains. We suggest that walking is the best way to get to know Gangtok and explore its natural beauty. It is well-known for local businesses selling handicrafts that can be carried as perfect gifts and souvenirs. Some of the best tourist attractions include the Tashi View Point, Rumtek Monastery, Tsongmo Lake and the Banjhakri Hill.
5. Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu – Kodaikanal can be literally translated to ‘The Gift of the Forest’. It is situated between the Palani Hills and is a somewhat secluded town. However, it is a perfect getaway for anyone looking to take a break from urban and commercialized life in cities. The must-visit places in Kodaikanal are the Kodai Lake, Guna caves and the Green Valley view.